Sydney is all about the water – whether you’re on the beach or having a drink at a bar on the harbour – it’s not Sydney if you’re not near the water. I would suggest trying to fit the following activities into your visit:
• A coastal walk from Bondi to Coogee (or reversed from Coogee to Bondi) – stop along the way and have fish and chips for lunch at one of the beaches. It’s a long walk, so wear comfortable shoes! You’ll go from Bondi to Tamarama to Bronte to Clovelly and end up at Coogee. Surfing lessons at Bondi are good fun, too! (That’s Bondi, above)
• A walk around the Royal Botanic Gardens (below) and end up in an old pub at the Rocks area of Sydney. Or, stroll around Circular Quay and check out the Opera House – there are plenty of restaurants or bars to pop into for a drink.
• If you can fit in a Harbour Bridge Climb, it is a beautiful way to see the city and great fun if the weather is clear.
• Go into China Town one day and have YUM CHA (that’s Aussie speak for Dim Sum) at one of the many Chinese restaurants. You can also have a look through Paddy’s Markets which are open on a Thursday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday.
• Get the Ferry from Circular Quay to Taronga Zoo. The Zoo is in an amazing location with beautiful views of the harbour and a fabulous bird show (which sounds weird, but is not to be missed)! There’s also the new Southern’s Ocean exhibition and a new baby elephant that was just born a few months go.
• There are plenty of markets to visit during the day on the weekends, too. Glebe markets, Bondi markets, or Balmain markets – I think most are on a Saturday and they’re fun to stroll around.
• And, most importantly, the Paddington-end of Oxford street is full of great shopping and lovely cafes. A girl could spend a few hours walking up and down this street, trying on clothes, stopping for coffee and ending up at a bar for a wine to celebrate new purchases!
Want to learn more about Australia? Become a fan on Facebook and enter to win a trip for two to Sydney. Be sure to check back next week when Jillian fills us in on the nightlife and fashion of Sydney!