Breast cancer sucks. Even if it hasn’t touched your own life, by now you know that women young and old are at risk–just look at Christina Applegate and Sheryl Crow. We’ve started to hear about friends of friends in their 30s getting diagnosed and Hope’s grandmother and Annie’s 40-something aunt both died of the disease.
So when asked to join the Ralph Lauren 100 Bloggers Unite Against Cancer Campaign it was a no-brainer. (It’s certainly a lot easier than the Avon 39 mile walk Hope did last spring!)
Like us, Ralph Lauren is no stranger to the fight against breast cancer. He was spurred to support the cause after the death of his friend Nina Hyde, former editor of the Washington Post. 2010 marks the 10th anniversary of the Pink Pony Fund of the Polo Ralph Lauren Foundation.
For those who question why breast cancer is only talked about in October and why other women’s cancers often seem to get lost, Ralph wants you to know that the Pink Pony Fund is a year round campaign and that while the Pink Pony campaign was initially established with a focus on Breast Cancer, it has now expanded to include other cancers.
Support the Pink Pony Fund
There are a few ways to support the Pink Pony fund, which supports programs for screening, early diagnosis, treatment and research and brings patient navigation to medically underserved communities:
- Buy an item from the Pink Pony Fund, like the polos we’re sporting above.
- Take part in the Charity Buzz auction from October 1st to October 21st. 100% of proceeds from the aucution will benefit the Pink Pony Fund. You can bid on items including:
A Front Row Seat at the Ralph Lauren Fall 2011 Fashion Show and Meet the Designer Backstage,
- Have Your Child Star in a Ralph Lauren Ad,
- Meet Jerry Seinfeld backstage at a show,
- A Personal Tour of Ralph Lauren’s World-Famous Car Collection,
- Two Tickets to Miami Heat Game and Meet Lebron James,
- Play Polo with Polo Model Nacho Figueras
- Donate $10 by texting PINKPONY to 501501 to automatically donate $10.