At last week’s Bling Ring movie premiere, Emma Watson rocked a braided updo that is equally appropriate for a night out at the beach as it is for the red carpet. Here’s how to recreate the seemingly intricate style from Mario Russo, leading expert hair stylist and owner of Salon Mario Russo in Boston.
1. Wash hair with Bumble and Bumble Surf shampoo and conditioner or other texturizing shampoo.
2. Blow-dry hair loosely with a 2” round brush, using Oribe Light Moisturizing Cream hair cream for softness and smoothness.
3. Once dry, generously layer in Oribe Dry Texturizer for texture and grip.
4. With a fine-tooth comb, make a deep side part by using the peak of your eyebrow as guide, then brush the hair through to the back on both sides and secure each with a hair tie to keep them separated.
5. Begin with the side that has less hair. Unfasten the hair tie and just above the ear begin French braiding, working it down to the nape of the neck, then fasten with the hair tie.
6. Repeat this process on the opposite side but divide the hair into two sections to allow you to braid two narrower lines on this side. The first should be parallel to temples and the second should be close to the crown.
7. Once the three pieces have been braided to the nape of the head, merge the remaining hair together and braid in the middle to the end of the pony.
8. Once the braid is finished, twist the hair into a bun at the base of the neck.
9. Secure the braid bun with 4-6 bobby pins.
10. To finish the look, lightly spray for hold and shine and you’re on your way.