Cate Blanchett won the SAG Award for Best Actress for Blue Jasmine—equally impressive was her blush-colored Givenchy dress and 60’s-Inspired Updo. Inspired by Brigitte Bardot and Kate Moss, Robert wanted to create a wispy up-do that showed off the dress’s feminine silhouette and sequin-trimmed details. Here’s how to recreate the style from her hairstylist Robert Vetica.
Here’s how Robert created Cate Blanchett’s hairstyle for the SAG Awards:
1. First he prepped her wet hair with Vidal Sassoon Pro Series Boost & Lift Foaming Air Mousse, applying throughout the hair for touchable volume and hold.
2. He created a side part and then blow-dried her hair with a small boar bristle round brush. Tip” Start by blow-drying hair in the front and create soft bangs. Once you have created the desired shape, clip the bangs in place while they cool. Then blow-dry the rest of the hair.
3. Once her hair was dry, Robert sprayed Vidal Sassoon Pro Series Heat Protect & Shine Spray to protect her hair from heat before curling it. Using a 1-inch curling iron, he curled her hair in approximately 8 sections. “You don’t need to separate each section perfectly,” says Robert “but instead you can take random sections since you’re curling hair to create texture and bend.” Once the hair has cooled, he brushed out the curls to soften the look.
4. “Some people just apply hairspray to their roots, but I applied Vidal Sassoon Pro Series ColorFinity Dry Shampoo in Intense Blondes all throughout the hair, similar to how you use hairspray, to create additional texture and volume.” After the dry shampoo, he back combed Cate’s hair a bit at the roots with a teasing comb.
5. He pulled Kate’s hair back into a loose low ponytail, using his fingers to create the desired shape. Next he twisted the rest of the ponytail into a deconstructed bun and pinned the look in place.
6. To finish, Robert sprayed her hair with Vidal Sassoon Pro Series Flexible Hold Hairspray to lock the look in place. As a last touch to tame flyaways, he sprayed hairspray onto his fingertips and nails, and brushed the along her hairline.