If your older brother were in a fraternity and loved to travel, this is undoubtedly the book he would write. 101 Places to Get F*cked Up Before You Die from the Matador Network is just what the title promises with 8 sections broken down by:
- Blowouts — think Coachella (above), Burning Man, Mardi Gras
- High Elevation — including Whistler, Nepal and Machu Picchu
- Under the Radar — Portland Maine, Reykjavik, Iceland
- Dirtbag — Cairo, Phuket, Thailand
- Bar Crawl — Madrid, Austin, Cape Town
- Spendy — London, Tokyo and, somewhat inexplicably, Washington D.C.
- Beach Break — Melbourne, Ibiza and Cabo
- Baller Vegas, Montreal and New York
While we appreciate the “Notes from a Local”, along with advice on when to go and where to stay, some of the advice is questionable. For example, we would NOT recommend the following as ideal conditions in New York, “Standing on a subway with a water bottle of vodka…standing next to your inebriated bestie who keeps screaming. ‘I fucking love New York.'” That’s a way to look like a jackass and certainly isn’t the way to experience “Baller” New York.
Our verdict: 101 Places to Get F*cked Up Before You Die is good for inspiration, but you should do additional research before booking any trips.
For more info, go to 101Places.com.